The primary purpose of the meeting was to select artwork for the tour poster, postcard, flyers, brochure, and advertising.
Committee members Judy Reynolds and Bert Herrman were joined by MMAC president (Mary Schultz) and Secretary (Vanessa Vaile), and guests (Celeste Simon, Kathleen Clute, Meg Chobanian, Kristine Lauritsen, and Ruth Ballen). Tour Committee members Linda Johnson and Michael Godey were unable to attend but sent their input via the secretary.
Kathleen Clute used her laptop to show artwork under consideration. Photo editing features allowed us to view images in black and white as well as color. Since the artwork needs to be reproduced in black and white for advertising and the Tour Brochure / Schedule, selecting for a clear, striking BW image is also an important consideration. After viewing and discussing images submitter for consideration, the committee and guest artists decided on Michael Godey’s “Sounds and Images.”
Secretary’s Note: several artists (relatively) new to the Mountainair area have offered to add their studios to the tour. As a result, studios have been added to the Tour since the January MMAC meeting. However, I do not have a complete list of or confirmation for tentatively participating studios. We can’t count them for participation, planning, or promotion until they are confirmed.
Treasurer Bert Herrman reported briefly on Tour advertising. CrossWinds Weekly is shutting down, but there will be substantial Tour advertising in both Steppin' Out and The Independent. Ads are purchased in collaboration with the Mountainair Chamber of Commerce - making use of Lodger's Tax funds to promote the town. We missed the deadline for New Mexico Magazine print edition but can still submit to New Mexico Magazine's online calendar.
At the close of the meeting and in consideration of her being away through the first half of February, Mary requested those present to address various tour matters as follows:
- Approval of including a quilt exhibit in cooperation with local quilters and quilt owners.
- Celeste Simon agreed to handle printing arrangements for tour posters & postcards. She and Bert will coordinate layout and design for posters and advertising.
- Venues: Stone Tree Gallery (Jess Davidson); Shaffer Hotel & Garden; Dr. Saul Community Center for Crafts Fair); Art Alley (tentatively for music, vendors, and a visitor information table)
- Kristine agreed to coordinate with the Shaffer Hotel
- Tour Exhibitor fee ($25) waived for paid up MMAC members
- Approved “Tour Information Central” desks (Art Alley next to Post Office and at the Shaffer) to distribute schedules, display flyers provided by individuals (galleries, studios, exhibitors, merchants, etc.), and answer visitor questions
- Scheduled (time TBA) pre-tour orientation meeting Saturday May 13, 2006.
- Reminded tour committee that report on plans is due at February 19, 2006 board meeting
- Reminded all present that coordinators are still needed for Exhibiting Artists, Music, and Supplies.
The 2006 Tour page is now online - http://www.theartcenterofmountainair.com/News_Vol_V_Edition_I.htm - and will be added to as the 2006 tour plans develop and The Mountainair Arts Tour undergoes metamorphosis from ideation to reality.