Here are the rules. Drink or dig into the Halloween candy every time the following happen, unless another frequency is otherwise noted.
- A red state goes blue, or vice versa (Potential targets for the former: Ohio, Virginia, Florida, Nevada, Colorado, North Carolina, New Mexico, Indiana. Potential targets for the latter: Pennsylvania, New Hampshire.)
- A pundit says something he or she actually believes, mistakenly assuming that his or her mic is off.
- Drink/pop a Reeses every tenth time Joe the Plumber is mentioned. Anything less could cause alcohol poisoning or a hypoglycemic event.
- Voter suppression reported. Do not drink or candy-binge for five minutes.
- Flagrant network abuse of new Election Day gadgetry.
Reflections later but the short version, in case I don't get to it, is not that different from Hughes. The deferrals came due and whatever your politics, about time too. Growing up mostly in the Deep Deep South but still a "Yankee," I remember too clearly the reality of segregation - my mind has been replaying them all day. Images now no more than historical icons were real and poisoned the souls of anyone touched by them, whether oppressed or oppressor. The back of the bus; separate restrooms, water fountains, schools - and more. Separate swimming pools, Scout Camps. No end to the separations in the name of "separate but equal." Over but not fully exorcised until now.
In closing, quoting from last night's acceptance speech, "As Lincoln said to a nation far more divided than ours: We are not enemies but friends ... Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection."